Тема: «Youth in Mind. Emotions”
Today we continue speaking about youth, and at this lesson we are going to focus on such points as: what does it mean for young people to be good citizens, on discussing some problems which teenagers face nowadays and making some necessary decisions and drawing conclusions.
1. Введення в іншомовне середовище
Read the poem “YOUTH” by Samuel Ullman
Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, a quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life.
Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite, for adventure over the love of ease. This often exists in a man of sixty more than a boy of twenty. Nobody grows old merely by a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals.
Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. Worry, fear, self-distrust bows the heart and turns the spirit back to dust.
Whether sixty or sixteen, there is in every human being’s heart the lure of wonder, the unfailing child-like appetite of what’s next, and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station; so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the infinite, so long are you young.
When the aerials are down, and your spirit is covered with snows of cynicism and the ice of pessimism, then you are grown old, even at twenty, but as long as your aerials are up, to catch the waves of optimism, there is hope you may die young at eighty.
-How does the author define youth?
-What does the author say about growing old?
-What “bows the heart and turn the growing spirit back to dust”?
-What is there in “every being’s heart whether they are sixty or sixteen”?
-How long does a man stay young according to the author?
2. Утворіть прислів’я
1.Action speak a)than done
2.Treat others as you want b)kindness
3.Don’t forget to do good and c)second nature
4.Kindness gives birth to d)sweet
5.Evil comes e)louder than words
6.Every family has f)to be treated
7.Fordidden fruit is g)share what you have
8.Good can never h)a black sheep
9.Easier said i)grow out of evil
10.Habit is a j)from evil
3. Доповніть речення виділеними словами та словосполученнями
Fill in words which are given: youth organizations, members, to aim, to share, ties, to maintain, interests.
1.There are many ------ in our town.
2.----- of these organizations are people of different ---- but they ---- the views of their organizations. They---- at solving different problems.
3.They also ---- friendly----with organizations of many countries.
1.When I saw this movie, I was ... because I thought it would be much better.
• disappointed • grateful • nervous
2. My wife and I are very ... that you could come.
• ashamed • unhappy • pleased
3. Linda became ... to her new classmate David, a very handsome young man.
• attracted • shocked • happy
4. They were ... when they heard that no one was hurt in the accident.
• lonely • relieved • ashamed
5. Victoria has no friends in this city. She feels very ... .
• surprised • lonely • great
6. Where were you? I was ... that something bad happened.
• worried • furious • pleased
7. When my brother found out that they treated his girlfriend so badly, he was ... .
• convinced • merry • furious
8. They were both very sad, so they had a ... goodbye at the airport.
• bored • amazed • tearful
9.І was very ... with my test results.
• jealous • disappointed • sympathetic
10.І am 100 % ... that he will find another job.
• enthusiastic • surprised * convinced
Шановні учні 11 класу! Відправляйте, будь ласка, свої виконані письмові роботи для перевірки та виставлення балів на адресу:
1) instagram - natasha_mytskanyuk
2) viber – 380971264706